In the contemporary times, the success of business is dependent on the effective management of all resources including the Human Capital. The employer`s sustainability and profitability can be enhanced by effective contribution by the human resource at all levels. The HR Department in any organization maximizes the output by carefully overseeing the Recruitment, Human resource Planning, Selection, Training and development, compensation and benefits of the employees. Thus, it plays a pivotal role in any organization.
HR as a Specialization
The choice of Human Resource as specialization for any student will catapult him or her to be one of the important contributor in any organization`s growth strategy.
- It will benefit their career path as they get an opportunity to work with different professionals and in different sectors.
- Students can get variety of experiences. A typical day in HR can be from staffing a recruitment booth in a Job fair or college campus to holding a training sessions.
- Challenges add ‘spice’ to the work life and in the recent times Technology is playing an important role in upgrading the HR function. So, it poses a constant opportunity to sharpen one`s HR skills and have a vertical career growth.
- HR provides a steady and quality work-life and a satisfaction of working, where people`s development pave path for your growth and development.
HR Specialization Electives
- HR Analytics-1
- HR Analytics-2
- Talent Management
- Compensation Management & Reward System
- Industrial Relations and Labour Legislation
- Talent Acquisition
- Performance Management System
- Change Management & Organization
- HR Instruments & Tools
- Negotiation Skills
- Counseling skills for Managers
- Workforce Management(WFM)
- HR Analytics
- Negotiation Skills
- Compensation Management
- On Behavioral Event Interview
Unique Feature of HR being taught at SBS
- The HR area in SBS is distinctively designed as per the industry requirements. The curriculum and the content designing is done with the insight from the industry professionals, practitioners and the consultants.
- The HR curriculum has core electives which pertains to the subjects that builds up the HR conceptual knowledge. Various new optional electives has been added to incorporate the changes and the infusion of HR and technology which is happening in HR domain. Thus, the students are industry ready.
- The pedagogy is a blend of instruction based as well as experiential learning. The students are given hands on experience through Workshops and Master classes. Guest Speaks, industry based projects and assignments, holding in-campus training sessions are done to enhance the transformation of theoretical knowledge to practice.
Career Opportunities for HR
Career opportunities span across technical, functional and other types of roles for students as below:
In HR Specialization, career opportunities for entry level jobs which require a minimum level of HR knowledge is obtained through paid internships and industry based projects. These introductory positions offer a realistic view of the profession and the company and may lead to a permanent, full-time job offer as an HR assistant or other entry-level position.
HR assistants often move into professional-level roles, such as recruiting manager, payroll manager, staffing manager, administrator or human resources manager. Most HR professionals choose between broad paths of: generalist , specialist or consultants.
- Generalist – HR generalists often perform a wide variety of tasks. They do recruit, hiring, training and development, compensation and planning. They often develop personnel policies and ensure that the organization is in legal compliance Job titles held by HR generalists include HR assistant, HR manager, and chief HR officer.
- Specialist – HR specialists typically work in larger organizations. Compared to generalists, they have a higher level of technical skill and knowledge in specialized areas, such as workforce planning, Learning and Development, Compensation, HR Analysts, employee and labor relations,. Job titles include recruiter, retention specialist, compensation specialist, labor relations manager, Safety officer, HR Analysts, Compensation Specialist and Trainer.
- Consultants – As a young consultants recruited in HR Consulting firm. They advise management on the administration of human resources policies and procedures. As internal consultants by analyzing a company’s current HR programs and recommending solutions. They also conduct audits of HR activities to ensure compliance.